Dr Sara Gottfried – Women, Perimenopause, and Alzheimer’s Disease
Spread the word.
Sara Gottfried M.D. is a mother, wife, Harvard-educated physician, keynote speaker, and author of three New York Times bestselling books, The Hormone Cure (2012), The Hormone Reset Diet (2015), and her latest book Younger: A Breakthrough Program to Reset Your Genes, Reverse Aging, and Turn Back the Clock 10 Years (2017). For the past 25+ years, Dr. Sara has been dedicated to helping women feel at home in their bodies with functional medicine. After graduating from Harvard Medical School and MIT, she completed her residency at the University of California at San Francisco. She lives in Berkeley, California with her family.
In this Episode You Will Learn:
- Food choices: basics of water, increased fiber, magnesium
- Assessing nutrient gaps (organic acid panels, essential fatty acid, oxidative stress panel)
- Assessment of microbiome (looking for infection, dysbiosis, beta-glucuronidase, etc) with Functional stool testing.
- Looking at Estrogen metabolism (estrone, estradiol, estrone)
- this can be done with dried urine testing and other testing to determine how your body is breaking down estrogen and if it is getting rid of it efficiently
- stool testing with beta-glucuronidase
- An approach to identifying and actively managing stress and to develop stress resilience
- Using a the Perceived Stress Scale to assess
- Measure blood cortisol, dried urine testing
- Core supplementation: magnesium, DIM (di-indolylmethane).
- Advanced maneuvers (of course, in the context of overall lifestyle changes)
- Phosphatidylserine 300-400mg – in divided doses or all at once or at bedtime
- Lavela (pill form of Lavender) for anxiousness – can get on Amazon
- Chasteberry – helps perimenopausal women who still get a menstrual cycle. Helps raise progesterone (a neurosteroid that helps to soothe the female brain). note: this can take 2-4 weeks to see a change
- Dr Sara often recommends: “Fertility Blend” brand name
- Step 1: navigate stress (less coffee and alcohol). add flax seeds to a morning shake/smoothie (eg 2 tablespoons)
- Step 2: Chasteberry, Siberian rhubarb, Maca (see Dr Sara’s books esp The Hormone Cure for doses and timing and alot more strategy)
- Step 3: consider bioidentical hormones
- estradiol patch with micronized progesterone esp for perimenopausal women. she tries to use the lowest dose for the shortest time possible. she see’s about 10% of her patients end up going on hormone replacement.
Our Favorite Resources:
Spread the word.