7 Steps to a Better Brain
Spread the word.
In this Episode You Will Learn:
Functional Medicine is an approach that tries to discover the root cause of chronic disease and personalize and approach to getting better. Dr Hyman has been using this approach for years and shares a couple of stories of patients with cognitive impairment that improved with this approach.
We explore the idea of Alzheimer’s as a syndrome with drivers including metals, environmental toxins, and infections.
(Min 11:23). We have a deep discussion about cholesterols and fats and the relative benefits versus harms of fats and MCT (coconut oils). We discuss practical lab testing of cholesterol, statins and other medications.
7 Steps for Do It Yourself Prevention of Alzheimer’s
(Dr Hyman points out that what is good for your brain is good for the rest of your body as well):
- Adopt a Low glycemic diet – low sugar and sugar like processed foods that contain shelf stabilizers and preservatives
- Increase your fat intake – eg avocado, olive oil, nuts, seeds
- Eat 6-9 servings of vegetables (serving = 1/2 cup) every day. A little bit of colorful fruit fairly often may be good to.
- Exercise (increasing antioxidant enzymes, increasing brain chemicals, increasing brain connections, increasing blood flow)
- Reduce stress – easiest way is to do adopt a daily meditation practice 20 minutes, once or twice per day.
- Nutritional Supplementation – MCT Oil, B-vitamins for methylation support, basic multivitamin, omega 3 fatty acids (e.g high quality fish oil), detoxification support.
- Minimize Toxic Exposures – use the EWG.org – Environmental Working Group website to learn about how to minimize toxicants in food and personal care products.
- If the Do-It-Yourself approach isn’t working consider visiting with a Functional Medicine doctor. Find one on: https://www.ifm.org/find-a-practitioner/
- Dr Hyman is leading the way on getting the word on Alzheimer’s and cognitive impairment. Check out his upcoming documentary “Broken Brain” – anticipated to be out in Late 2017.
- Learn more about Dr Hyman by reading one of his many NYTimes bestselling books or on his website http://drhyman.com/
Spread the word.