The Alzheimer’s Solution
As Co-Directors of the Alzheimer’s Prevention Program at Loma Linda University Medical Center, Dr. Ayesha and Dr. Dean Sherzai, through research and their extensive collective medical backgrounds, work to demystify the steps to achieving long-term brain health and the prevention of devastating diseases such as Alzheimer’s and dementia. They are also the authors of the much acclaimed book, The Alzheimer’s Solution: A Breakthrough Program to Prevent and Reverse the Symptoms of Cognitive Decline at Every Age
In this Episode You Will Learn:
They call their basic program NEURO which stands for,
Nutrition Exercise Unwind (from stress) Restorative sleep Optimize cognitive and social activity.
Currently TeamSherzai works at Loma University, the only recognized Blue Zone in the United States. They are currently studying how the Loma Linda community, which is largely a vegetarian-based, health-focused community has such a significantly lower number of cases of Alzheimer’s.
We discuss the role of “good” vs “bad” fats and an expanded scoring system to determine the best diet to avoid the risk of strokes and brain damage.
The highlights from this episode we discuss:
- omega 3 fatty acid supplements
- organic vs non-organic (simple key: try to know where your food comes from)
- proton pump inhibitors (ant-acid medications)
- statin (anti-cholesterol medications)
- the relationship between vascular disease (blood vessel issues) PREceding Alzheimer’s
- Dose of exercise – 20-35 minutes per day. 4-5 days a week. to the point of mild breathlessness/pointing. Also, leg strength seems to correlate with brain strength.
- “Living a Purpose Driven Life” – Team Sherzai has found that to enhance cognitive/neuronal “connectivity” is to sustain a combination of ongoing complexity, challenge and connection to a larger purpose. Keep these in mind as we make our decisions in the 2nd half of life!
- Experimental labs/biomarkers for brain and neurodegenerative disease (exosomes, oxidation family, VEGF)
Find more about Drs Dean & Ayesha Sherzai’s work in their new book – The Alzheimer’s Solution